Dr. Callanan, dean of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, is a research and diagnostic boarded veterinary pathologist. Following graduation from the School of Veterinary Medicine at University College Dublin (UCD) in 1987, he initially undertook internships at UCD and then at the University of Glasgow, where he obtained his certificate in veterinary radiology. This was followed by a combined PhD and residency program at University of Glasgow where he was awarded his PhD in 1994 for studies on feline immunodeficiency virus and membership of the Royal College of Pathologists in 1996. Following a period of time as a toxicological pathologist at Sanofi Winthrop (Alnwick, UK) he returned to Ireland , initially as a research officer in the Department of Agriculture and then as a lecturer in the School of Veterinary Medicine, UCD. During 15 years at UCD he progressed to associate professor and was Head of Department.
Prior to being appointed dean in 2016, Dr. Callanan has served as professor of veterinary pathology, director of postgraduate studies, and head of both the Department of Biomedical Sciences and the Center for Integrative Mammalian Research.
- Besenhard, M. O., M. Jarzabek, A. C. O'Farrell, J. J. Callanan, J. H. Prehn, A. T. Byrne and H. J. Huber, 2016: Modelling tumour cell proliferation from vascular structure using tissue decomposition into avascular elements. Journal of theoretical biology, 402, 129-143.
- O'Shea, C., O'Doherty, J., Callanan, J.J., Doyle, D., Thornton, K., Sweeney, T., 2016: The effect of algal polysaccharides laminarin and fucoidan on colonic pathology, cytokine gene expression and Enterobacteriaceae in a dextran sodium sulfate-challenged porcine model. J Nutr Sci, 5.
- Shokry, I. M., J. J. Callanan, J. Sousa and R. Tao, 2016: New Insights on Different Response of MDMA-Elicited Serotonin Syndrome to Systemic and Intracranial Administrations in the Rat Brain. PloS one, 11, e0155551.
- Shokry, I. M., A. Maqueira, J. J. Callanan, C. Shields, C. Clayton and R. Tao, 2016: Effects of synthetic cathinones ('bath salts') on rat behavior. European Neuropsychopharmacology, 26, S230.
- Valentine, M. J., Beierschmitt, A., DeLay, J., Callanan, J.J., 2016: Uterine angioleiomyoma in an African green monkey (Chlorocebus aethiops sabeus). Journal of medical primatology
- Valentine, M. J., S. Porter, A. Chapwanya and J. J. Callanan, 2016: Uterine prolapse with endometrial eversion in association with an unusual diffuse, polypoid, fibrosing perimetritis and parametritis in a cat. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Open Reports, 2.
- Shokry I.M., Callanan, J.J., Tao, R. (2017). D1 receptors, but not D2, mediate the locomotor activity and behavioral sensitization caused by 3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) in rats. European Neuropsychopharmacology, 27(Supplement 4), Page S642.
- Tam, L. C., Reina-Torres, E., Sherwood, J. M., Cassidy, P. S., Crosbie, D. E., Lutjen-Drecoll, E., Callanan, J. J., Humphries, P. (2017). Enhancement of Outflow Facility in the Murine Eye by Targeting Selected Tight-Junctions of Schlemm's Canal Endothelia. Sci Rep, 7, 40717. doi:10.1038/srep40717
- Valentine, Matthew J, Beierschmitt, A., DeLay, J., Callanan, J.J. (2017). Uterine angioleiomyoma in an African green monkey (Chlorocebus aethiops sabeus). J Med Primatol, 46, 9-12.
- Breathnach, R., McDonnell, K. A., Chebbi, A., Callanan, J. J., & Dowling, D. P. (2018). Evaluation of the effectiveness of kINPen Med plasma jet and bioactive agent therapy in a rat model of wound healing. Biointerphases, 13(5), 051002. doi:10.1116/1.5046489
- LaCroix, K., Callanan, J. J., Cruz-Martinez, L., & Rajeev, S. (2018). Prevalence of Renal Lesions in the Small Indian Mongoose ( Herpestes auropunctatus) Inhabiting the Caribbean Island of Saint Kitts. J Wildl Dis. doi:10.7589/2018-02-040
- Nolan, C. M., Shiel, R. E., Buchan, J. G., O'Sullivan, F. M., & Callanan, J. J. (2018). Canine MAS1: monoallelic expression is suggestive of an imprinted gene. Anim Genet. doi:10.1111/age.12705
- Shokry, I., DeSuza, K, Callanan, J, Shim, G, Ma, Z, Tao, R. (2018). Individuals with Hyperthyroidism are More Susceptible to having a Serious Serotonin Syndrome Following MDMA (Ecstasy) Administration in Rats Ann Forensic Res Anal.
- Bolfa, P., Callanan, J. J., Ketzis, J., Marchi, S., Cheng, T., Huynh, H., Lavinder, T., Boey, K., Kelly, P. (2019). Infections and pathology of free-roaming backyard chickens on St. Kitts, West Indies. J Vet Diagn Invest, 1040638719843638. doi:10.1177/1040638719843638
- Shokry, I. M., Callanan, J. J., & Tao, R. (2019). Cortical dopamine is essential for the hallucinogenic effect of 3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) demonstrated by enhanced EEG activity in rats. European Neuropsychopharmacology, 29, S98-S99. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroneuro.2018.11.1084
- Shokry, I. M., Sinha, V., Da Silva, G., Park, S. B., Callanan, J. J., & Tao, R. (2019). Comparison of electroencephalogram (EEG) response to MDPV versus the hallucinogenic drugs MK-801 and ketamine in rats. Exp Neurol, 313, 26-36. doi:10.1016/j.expneurol.2018.12.001