Dr. Cavanaugh attended veterinary school at Colorado State University and upon graduation in 2003, was selected for a rotating internship in small animal medicine and surgery at the Animal Medical Center in New York City. Dr. Cavanaugh then remained at the Animal Medical Center to complete a 3-year residency in small animal surgery and became board certified through the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) in 2008.
Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Cavanaugh pursued advanced surgical training by accepting a 1-year post-doctoral fellowship in surgical oncology at the University of Florida's College of Veterinary Medicine. In 2012, he was recognized by the ACVS as a Founding Fellow in Surgical Oncology. Dr. Cavanaugh worked as a specialist surgeon in private clinical practice for 10 years prior to starting at RUSVM in 2017.
- Amsellem, P. M., Cavanaugh, R. P., Chou, P. Y., Bacon, N. J., Schallberger, S. P., Farese, J. P., Powers, B. E. (2019). Apocrine gland anal sac adenocarcinoma in cats: 30 cases (1994-2015). J Am Vet Med Assoc, 254(6), 716-722. DOI:10.2460/javma.254.6.716
- Corbin EE, Cavanaugh RP, Schwartz P, Zawadzki KI, Donovan T. Splenomegaly in small breed dogs: A retrospective study of 45 cases (2004-2011). J Am Vet Med Assoc 250:1148-1154, 2017
- Montinaro V, Massari F, Vezzoni L, Liptak JM, Straw RC, Allen L, Cavanaugh RP, Berg J, et al. Clinical Evaluation of the Coccygeal Axial Pattern Flap: A multi institutional retrospective Study in 13 dogs. Vet Surg 44:642-647, 2014 DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2014.12305.x
- Gardner H, Cavanaugh RP. Keratoacanthoma in the digit of a dog – What Is Your Diagnosis? J Am Vet Med Assoc244:1031-1032, 2014 DOI: 10.2460/javma.244.9.1031
- Covey JL, Farese JP, Bacon NJ, Schallberger S, Ansellem P, Cavanaugh RP, Milner RJ. Stereotactic radiosurgery and fracture fixation in 6 dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma. Vet Surg 43:174–181, 2014 DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2014.12082.x
- Epple LM, Bemis LT, Cavanaugh RP, Skope A, et al. Prolonged remission of advanced bronchoalveolar adenocarcinoma in a dog treated with autologous, tumor derived chaperone-rich cell lysate (CRCL) vaccine. International Journal of Hyperthermia 29:390-398, 2013 DOI: 10.3109/02656736.2013.800997
- Corbin E, Cavanaugh RP, Fick J, McAbee KP, et al. Foreign body reaction to a retained surgical sponge (gossypiboma) mimicking an implant associated sarcoma in a dog after a tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol26:147-153, 2013 DOI: 10.3415/VCOT-11-12-0188
- Haynes K, Cavanaugh RP, Steinheimer D. Osteoma in a cat – What Is Your Diagnosis? J Am Vet Med Assoc 241:1433-1434, 2012 DOI: 10.2460/javma.241.11.1433
- Cavanaugh RP. 2012. Alimentary tract – Gastric, liver and small intestinal tumors. In Veterinary Surgical Oncology, 1stedition, pp. 186-223. ST Kudnig and B Sequin, editors. Ames, IA: Wiley-Blackwell Publications. DOI: 10.1002/9781118729038.ch7
- Cavanaugh RP, Farese JP, Bacon N, Lurie D, Milner R. Oronasal fistula repair utilizing a temporalis muscle flap in a dog with severe trismus. Journ Am Anim Hosp Assoc 47:447-454, 2011
- Boston SE, Bacon NJ, Culp WT, Bhandal J, Bruce C, Cavanaugh RP, Hamilton MH, Lincoln JD, Liptak JM, Scharvogel S. Outcome after Repair of a Sarcoma-Related Pathologic Fracture in Dogs: A Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology Retrospective Study. Vet Surg 40:431-437, 2011
- Cavanaugh RP, Aiken SA, Schatzberg SJ. Intraventricular tension pneumocephalus and cervical subarachnoid pneumorrhacis in a bull mastiff dog after craniotomy. J Small Anim Pract 49:244-248, 2008 DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-5827.2007.00467.x
- Cavanaugh RP, Kovak JR, Barton LJ, Fischetti AJ, Bergman PJ. Evaluation of surgically placed gastrojejunostomy feeding tubes in critically ill dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:380-388, 2007
- Cavanaugh RP, Fischetti AJ, Carey K, Sami VF. CT arthrogram of stifle showing occult OCD lesion – What Is Your Diagnosis? J Am Vet Med Assoc 230:1809-1810, 2007