Dr. Chaoqun Yao received BMed and PhD degrees from Huazhong University of Science & Technology and the University of Georgia, respectively. He pursued postdoctoral trainings at the Washington State University and the University of Iowa followed by a non-tenure track faculty position at the University of Iowa. He was a tenure-track assistant professor at the University of Wyoming with a concomitant appointment of adjunct professor at the University of Washington. He was also the parasitology section head of the Wyoming State Veterinary Laboratory at the same time. He joined Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine as an associate professor in 2014.
Dr. Yao’s research interests are molecular pathogenesis and host-parasite interaction of parasites of medical/veterinary importance. He has authored many peer-reviewed publications. He reviews manuscripts for over 40 scientific journals as an associated editor, an editorial board member, or an ad hoc reviewer. He has organized three symposia for the annual meeting of American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- Koster, L., Chow, C., Yao, C., 2016: Trichomonosis in cats with diarrhoea in Hong Kong, China, between 2009 and 2014. J Feline Med Surg Open Reports, DOI 10.1177/2055116915623561.
- Yao, C. and M. E. Wilson, 2016: Dynamics of sterol synthesis during development of Leishmania spp. parasites to their virulent form. Parasites & vectors, 9, 200.
- Sun H, Zhou X, Zhao X, Yang Y, Chen X, Yao C. (2017). The heat shock protein 90 of Toxoplasma gondii is essential for invasion of host cell and tachyzoite growth. Parasite, 24(22).
- Wang J, Li T, Liu G, Zhu X, Yao C. (2017). Two tales of Cytauxzoon felis infections in domestic cats. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 30, 861-885
- Cheng, T., Halper, B., Siebert, J., Cruz-Martinez, L., Chapwanya, A., Kelly, P., Yao, C. (2018). Parasites of small Indian mongoose, Herpestes auropunctatus, on St. Kitts, West Indies. Parasitol Res. doi:10.1007/s00436-018-5773-2
- Luo, J., Sun, H., Zhao, X., Wang, S., Zhuo, X., Yao, C,Yang, Y., Du, A. (2018). Development of an immunochromatographic test based on monoclonal antibodies against surface antigen 3 (TgSAG3) for rapid detection of Toxoplasma gondii. Vet Parasitol, 252, 52-57. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2018.01.015
- Marshall, S., Kelly, P. H., Singh, B. K., Pope, R. M., Kim, P., Zhanbolat, B., Yao, C. (2018). Extracellular release of virulence factor major surface protease via exosomes in Leishmania infantum promastigotes. Parasit Vectors, 11(1), 355. doi:10.1186/s13071-018-2937-y
- Yang, Y., Li, M., Pan, C., Yang, Y., Chen, X., Yao, C., & Du, A. (2018). A duplex PCR for the simultaneous detection of Fasciola hepatica and Clonorchis sinensis. Vet Parasitol, 259, 1-5. doi:10.1016/j.vetpar.2018.06.019
- Yao, C., Harper, Brandon (2018). Failure in detection of Tritrichomonas foetus in a cross-sectional survey in the populations of feral cats and owned outpatient cats on St. Kitts, West Indies. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Open Reports.
- Yao, C., & Ketzis, J. K. (2018). Aberrant and accidental trichomonad flagellate infections: rare or underdiagnosed? Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. doi:10.1093/trstmh/try027
- Yao, C., Koster, L., Halper, B., Dundas, J., & Nair, R. (2018). Failure to detect Tritrichomonas foetus in a cross-sectional survey in the populations of feral cats and owned outpatient cats on St Kitts, West Indies. JFMS Open Rep, 4(1), 2055116918782584. doi:10.1177/2055116918782584
- Yao, C., Walkush, J., Shim, D., Cruz, K., Ketzis, J. (2018). Molecular species identification of Trichuris trichiura in African green monkey on St. Kitts, West Indies. Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports, 11(Supplement C), 22-26. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vprsr.2017.11.004